So a lot has been happening and many complications with being sick has made it tough to compete projects on time. So I haven't had much time to do anything but homework. My cable car is finished and it turned out great! I was blessed enough to win the peoples choice award on it. We have also completed some cool viscom projects that I am pretty proud of. I will also include some other pictures of stuff below with captions below. Hope you like them! My freshman review is next week so its time to gather up all of my best work and get a major critiquing! I will post an update as soon as I receive my score. Wish me luck!
I thought maybe I would talk about viscom for a bit in this post and give you guys an update on my cable car. Viscom is short for visual communication and the purpose of viscom 1 is to learn what light and shadows do on basic objects. In this class I have also learned and developed a marker technique. Learning how to render different materials is also important in viscom 1, as you can see in the picture below. This is a home work assignment that was just completed containing all the materials we have learned how to render so far. Our next project will be a big one. The plan is to fully draw and render an exploded view of a mini bike. Right now, we are sketching as much of the mini bike as possible to understand every aspect of it. Now I'm going to move on to what is happening with my cable car at the moment. Starting last week we have been given 2 weeks to fabricate and build our cable cargo the point where it's primed and ready for paint. Thats a pretty tight request for me since I have one of the more complicated cable cars out of every body else! So I'm working as hard as I possibly can, but I think the end result will turn out pretty sweet. Below is a picture of one finish half of the "tear drop" body and one front arm almost finished from yesterday's work. I got a tone of work to go but hopefully it will be done in time for class Friday morning! Wish me luck!
Our first project in Transportation Design Studio 2 is designing and building a cable car racer. Our first assignment was 100 ideation sketches. Out of those we chose our three favorite designs (which I kind of had four), critiqued them, and selected our final design direction. Next task is to build a rib model and begin fabricating them out of foam. Sometime in the near future I will be drag racing my cable car against other freshmen's cable cars. More posts on other things coming soon!
By for the greatest opportunity of this semester took place last weekend. Students were specially invited to see GM's personal Heritage Collection. Below are some pictures of several famous cars that I have only seen on tv and in books. Seeing these cars in person was pretty amazing and even getting up close to them too! The only rule was do not touch.
So many things have happened! The problem with myself and not posting enough things which makes for extremely long postings. I apologize for that, but I'll keep the words short and the pictures explode inside your brains... don't make to big of a mess though because you'll have to clean it up. I cannot come to your house and do it for you... Oh yeah I'm tired if you didn't notice.
Updates and a buch of other things that I have not posted yet! Things are growing busier here at CCS everyday (the wood shop was absolutely crazy Friday night!). Everyone is rushing to finish projects in the last few weeks that we have left. Check out the many pictures below and Enjoy!
We have two more tasks to finish for 3D Concepts, our modular structure and speed form. The modular task requires us to build one large structure out of several small structures. Pictured above is the module structure that I will be using to repeat about 50 times to create a large form. Yep, I need to make 50 of these babies! For the speed form task, we have two weeks to create an aerodynamic looking object out of 20 lb foam, spackle, and paint. The time crunch is about to begin...
This is the second round of elaborating on our design direction for our rib model. I concluded that my first round of sketches were too conservative and that I wanted something that fell on the more dramatic side. A dramatic design is also best if you want character lines to show up on the rib model. My final sketches and orthographic work for my rib model will be posted in about a week, so stay tuned!
So here is a small preview of my rib model that we are working on at the moment showing some early design ideas. The project right now is doing the orthographic views of our final design. Next week I'll post some more sketches in the design phase of my rib model car and then later post the final design sketches. Many more cool Trans updates to come soon!
For my transportation design class we are currently working on designing our rib model for the end of the semester. Part of our home work was designing the details of our car. Here is one of the headlight ideas in my sketchbook for my car.
This is where I will be posting various updates as well as things I find interesting.
Check out my instagram below as I am more active on there.